OHOES — The Cohoes City School District has saved more than $600,000 with an energy-conservation program and expects to save nearly $3 million by 2015. Five buildings in the district were recently awarded the federal government’s Energy Star label which is presented to the most energy-efficient school buildings in the country, officials said Thursday.
The district was also named an Energy Star Leader for its overall energy savings.
“We are very pleased to receive this recognition,” said Superintendent Robert Libby. “Our energy conservation efforts are saving taxpayer dollars and allowing the district to focus its financial resources on its core mission, student education. During difficult budget times like these, it is critically important that we be able to do just that.”
Since the district started participating with the Energy Education’s energy-conservation program in 2004, it has cut energy consumption by about 30 percent, officials said.
The schools have saved $616,397 and the environmental impact on just electricity savings is equal to taking 332 cars off the road or planting 39,339 trees.
The schools that received the Energy Star label included the Cohoes High School, Cohoes Middle School, Harmony Hill School, Van Schaick Grade School, and Page Avenue School.
School buildings must rate in the top 25 percent nationwide for energy efficiency to receive the label, officials said.
- PEI Energy Expands its Coverage to $35,000 – 3,000 more households
- A great source for all who want to learn more about wood heat
- Time for a heat with wood strategy
- Could our schools do more to save energy and hence money?
- How to install cheap window insulation
- Eartheasy – A great resource for better living
- Obama going big on Insulation
- Progress on the insulation front on PEI
- Local Local Food – Guerilla Gardening
- Recycling after Christmas
- Heat Pump – All you need to know about Geothermal
- Our Ning Community Site
- PEI Government Help
- Pellet Fuels Institute
- Power Points – 7 Videos on how to save energy
- Rob’s Energy Posts on His Blog
- The Ground – Localism – Making Local Work
- The Oil Drum – Best on Energy Context
- Wood Heat – All You Need to Know
- Wood Stove Accessories – All you need to know about Wood Stoves